Subject: [Leica] John W. Lee
From: tsuntam at yahoo.com (Tsun Tam)
Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2022 11:54:04 +0000 (UTC)

Condolences to his family and friend. John had been a good friendto both Jim
Lager and me. My last eMail from him was datedAugust 12. John had forwarded
a message regarding "Create,powered by PhotoPlus." I believe around that
time, we hadchatted via phone, though most of our "conversations" had
beenvia text or eMail.
Recollection of my first meeting John was when he invited meto attend one of
the Lug meetings at the Center for Photography.My friends, Sal DiMarco,
Ralph Hagenauer (from Leitz Wetzlar),Dr. Zafar Khan and Dr. Stuart Fink
(from NYU). Sadly,dear Sal and Stuart are no longer among us and Ralph had
sincemoved back to Germany and has retired from Leica. Zafarretired and move
to Florida.

My surviving and oldest Leica friends are Jim (since 1970 welive in the same
town and we both worked at Leitz NY/USA) and
Pong Promadhat (since 1967 and had moved back to Thailandin 1992). Sadly my
best Leica friends, Otto Schmidt andVincent (Uncle Vince) Fochtman, both
managers at Leitz, USAalso had passed. Who are left: Sherry Krauter whom I
met when she
first joined Leitz Rockleigh in the late 1960s/early 1970s (Otto
once told me that Sherry was his BEST technician and Ottohad started her
working on the Leicaflex cameras - both Sherry
and I love Otto!), Ernst Hartmann (I met Ernst in the late 1960swhen Otto
brought him over from Wetzlar when we were stillat 304 Hudson Street, NYC
where Leitz' service department waslocated - that was a wonderful place; in
the back was a hugefactory but at the time no longer produced anything) and
Urich
(Urly) Fuchs (Leicaflex technician).

I remember John and I were at Jim Lager's house on a holidaycelebration,
maybe 15 years ago. We met there numerous times
in Jim's basement "bunker."

The last time I met John was in Westwood after we had been toBergen County
Camera. After that, we had a leisurely mealwith Dr. Lew Rothman at a local
Irish pub about a block awayfrom BCC.

We always had good times together with John. He will be sorely
missed! RIP, old buddy!
Sorry for this long message, but with John's passing, it broughtback
wonderful memories of the Leica, of Leitz New York/USAand most important of
my dear friends from the old firm. Icherished each day I worked there and
between Jim and me,
we could probably write several volumes of our experiences
with E. Leitz, NY/USA - the hardware, the production facilities,AND the
friends. Yes, there WERE a few "characters" there but
they were very NICE!

Tsun

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (RicCarter) ([Leica] John W. Lee)