Subject: [Leica] about NAS devices
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2022 11:43:15 -0400

Very good suggestions, Brian.

I?ll add a few more. This works for me. YMMV.

1/ Don?t buy cheap hard drives. I?ve had too many Western Digital and
Seagate consumer HDDs fail on me. Seagate, in particular, went through a
period of very high failure rates a few years ago. I no longer trust them.
For NAS type of use, I now by WD Ultrastar HDDs (which use to be Hitachi
Ultrastar and before that IBM Fireball) in 14TB or bigger in size when the
price ($/TB) is reasonable.

2/ I no longer use RAID of any sort, not even RAID 1 (1:1 replication)
because RAID disk rebuild when one disk is replaced has too high probability
of failure for disks bigger than about 750GB. My version of RAID 1 is
basically a 14TB Ultrastar HDD in a tiny backup ?PC? connected to my NAS
which has various HDDs and SSDs in it. Like Brian, important data is
replicated to the backup ?PC?.

3/ I use TrueNAS to run my NAS but I am a geek and I like to tinker a bit. I
like ZFS rather than whatever file system commercial NAS uses, to achieve
better data integrity. One thing TrueNAS/ZFS supports is is both internal
and remote replication. I use both. I need to take my backup ?PC? to my
friend?s place and do all the firewall and remote configuration.

4/ ZFS allows me to encrypt the data on the NAS and the remote ?backup? PC
and still do remote replication. Not perfect since ZFS needs a bit of
metadata at the remote end to enable remote replication but no decryption or
encryption keys are stored on the remote backup.

5/ Never *EVER* buy 3.5? hard drives over the net and have it delivered if
you care about reliability. This is the one thing I will always buy locally.
The drive mechanisms in modern HDDs are delicate things. You don?t know how
many times it got chucked around by the courier company(ies). I always go to
a local shop and pick up in stock HDDs. Not a guarantee but much more likely
they would drop a sled of HDDs delivering it to the store.

6/ Corollary to #5 is if you receive a HDD by mail from warranty claim,
don?t put anything you care on it. Firstly, the warranty drives are
typically returned drives which were re-tested and deemed acceptable by the
manufacturer. Secondly, it?s shipped by courier to you which means it?s
suspect even if it was perfectly fine leaving the manufacturer.

Regards,
Spencer