Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Photoshop Colorize Filter Experiment
From: sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter)
Date: Sun, 16 Oct 2022 00:24:51 +0000

Nice.  I need to look into this.

________________________________
From: leicareflex-bounce at freelists.org <leicareflex-bounce at
freelists.org> on behalf of Aram Langhans <leica_r8 at hotmail.com>
Sent: Saturday, October 15, 2022 6:35:20 PM
To: LUG <lug at leica-users.org>; Leica Reflex <LeicaReflex at freelists.org>
Subject: [LRflex] Photoshop Colorize Filter Experiment

I am at my father-in-law's so I get to play around with the latest versions
of PS and LR.  I am still using CS6 and LR6.  Not sure if anyone noticed the
new neural filters that have been added a while back.  One of them is
colorize.  With one click it will take a B&W and turn it into color.  I
thought I'd give it a try.  I just did the one click thing and did not play
around much with the adjustments, and I accepted what it did without
choosing if I was satisfied or not.  I think that if you say that maybe it
will try again and maybe learn what you like.  Maybe a different experiment
later.

Since all his shots are color, I downloaded a few B&W shots from the
internet and gave it a try.  The first one is a famous Ansel Adams shot in
Yosemite from Tunnel view.

untitled-2-3
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2-3.jpg.html>

untitled-2-4
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2-4.jpg.html>
      Not bad.  This one I did lower the contrast.

Next a Grand Canyon shot

untitled-2
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2.jpg.html>

untitled-2-2
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2-2.jpg.html>
  I did play with this a small amount.

So I said, what about people?  Here is a market shot.

untitled-2-5
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2-5.jpg.html>

untitled-2-6
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-2-6.jpg.html>

My wife said how did it know she was in a blue coat?  Of course, it did not,
but make some kind of choice.  So, I though I would try something else.

I took a few of my father-in-law's photos and converted them to B&W and then
colorized them to see what PS chose to do and how close to reality was it.
Original color images are first followed by PS colorized versions

My nephew had a gray outfit on and of course PS did not know it was gray
from the start.

untitled-9808
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-9808.jpg.html>

untitled-9808-Edit
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-9808-Edit.jpg.html>

Here we all are at Tunnel View in gray shirts.  I wondered if they would
still be gray.  They were but my sister-in-law's skirt was changed from blue
to some sort of red.

untitled-0216
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-0216.jpg.html>

untitled-0216-Edit
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-0216-Edit.jpg.html>

And finally what about a flamingo?  Can PS get the feather colors correct?

untitled-0288
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-0288.jpg.html>

untitled-0288-Edit
(leica-users.org)<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Aram/misc/ce/untitled-0288-Edit.jpg.html>

So, you can draw your own conclusions.  For me, I am amazed at what it can
do. Having done a bit of computer programming way back in the dark ages, I
am just blown away at the complex calculations that must be going on.  And
if it is an original B&W with no reference for you to compare, I think it
did a pretty good job of making some plausible color choices, and with some
tweaking you might be able to make it look no so much like faded Kodachrome
but a new photo.

Comments welcome

Aram

--