Subject: [Leica] Lens opinion
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 11:11:20 -0500

This will be a complicated answer.  If you plan on using a 300ish mm lens
only very rarely and the subject matter is fairly static then most of the
legacy lenses will work OK.  The OK part is that the cone of best focus was
left fairly large in the film era due to the nature of silver halide
imaging and the resolution limits imposed by most used film: the absolute
resolving power of a slightly out of focus image was close enough that the
image looked better if the cone of best focus was relatively large.(See
Irwin Puts comments about Leica lenses through the generations).
Continuing, the older lenses can be quite difficult to accurately focus
using image magnification and focus peaking to really nail best focus.  It
will look fine on the rear screen but when trying to print you will see
your frequently slightly oof image.

So, what I have found using legacy lenses on the Sony platform is that the
ED or L classification lenses worked pretty well especially if used wide
open.  As the aperture stopped down my critically sharp images decreased;
the various focusing aids became less effective.  I had reasonably good
luck with the Canon 300 2.8L FD, the old Nikon 400 3.5 ED, Leica 180 APO
and the Nikon 180 ED oldest and newest generation.  I did not have good
luck with the various 300 4.5 from anybody with the exception of the Canon
L piece.

My actual recommendation is if these needs are pre planned, rent one that
fits that need for that occasion.  Secondarily, as a 75-300 consumer lens
becomes available in your mount go that route as your success rate will be
higher especially with the software aids available today.  I have sold off
all my telephoto lenses in legacy mounts for a 200-600 and a 70-180 in the
correct mount.  Because I was a lens hoarder and had access to a lot of
lenses my exchange actually made me money.  Buy low and sell high or wait
for inflation to make you feel rich when in fact you lost ppp.

I am not denigrating having mount adapters and using them with legacy
lenses.  My Noctilux with a close focus M/E adapter provides wonderful near
macro images.  I rather enjoy my Takumar 17mm fisheye for some images.
Using old LTM lenses for their unique quirks is rather engaging.  But, my
experience is that for non-static subjects you will be somewhat unhappy
with the percentage of keepers once you move beyond around 200mm.

A point in your proposal's favor is if your sensor is in the 24mp range.
This level is far less sensitive to slight mis-focus issues than the
50-60mp sensors I am using currently.  When I look back at my usage in the
days of 24mp I was quite happy with the images especially at the relatively
shorter focal lengths.  Reviewing my images made with a 24mp sensor and a
400 F3.5 on a substantial tripod of people not moving especially quickly my
success rate was no better than 50%.  This is based on a 27" monitor in
LR.  Sent on a phone the images looked fine.

To summarize, if this is something you pursue, find the most professional
lens in the focal length that makes sense to you(size, weight, price) then
buy the adapter that works for that lens.  Widen you search to relatively
unpopular brands like Pentax, Minolta and especially Olympus as their "ED,
Fluorite" lenses will be much less expensive.  I would avoid the consumer
slow lenses as you will not be as satisfied by their results.

If your presentation is almost exclusively low resolution images for
screens then most of the above doesn't apply and find that lens package
that fits in your bag.  As you know once you compress your images into an
1800x1200 JPG a lot of fine detail goes away.  However, if your daughter
has an 8K Samsung Frame display the fine detail seen over 60+ inches can be
quite stunning and saves the cost of printing.

Once again, your proposal makes sense for static subjects or low resolution
final output and can be done for less than $100 adapter included.  If your
needs are outside that window and you really need more telephoto then you
will be better served by one of three routes.

1) Buy a consumer grade zoom lens in the proper mount and use software to
improve the image.
2) If you can preplan the need rent a proper specific lens for that purpose
3) I believe your sensor has enough pixels that you can use the Q2 approach
and crop like a crazy person and use software to enhance if needed for
final usage.

I hope this helps clarify your thoughts and leads you to a good outcome for
your purposes.  I have enjoyed the totality of the images you post and all
of the above is in consideration of the really excellent standards you have
set with your posted images.

All the best.

On Sat, Aug 13, 2022 at 9:08 AM Aram Langhans via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>