Subject: [Leica] Wednesday Weeds
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 25 May 2022 05:07:00 -0500

Greetings to all.  This week is mostly from Palo Duro canyon outside of
Amarillo.  We start with a mesquite in full display:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/mesquite+ready+to+party.jpg.html

This part of Texas has been in drought for a while, the only things
thriving outside of some creeks flowing from snow melt are mesquite trees.
They are prolific and spread like dandelions so I am calling them a weed.
They do serve a useful function in drought by pulling water from very deep
in the soil layers and bringing it up to the surface.  This tree is at the
edge of the canyon:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/mesquite+over+the+canyon.jpg.html

Another view of a mesquite near a water way:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/mesquite+as+sculptural+element.jpg.html

I believe this is from early spring but now long dried out:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/dried+thistle.jpg.html

A different look at the thistles:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/dried+thistle+in+a+group.jpg.html

It's amazing what plants can do even when their seeds are blown into
unfavorable places:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/don_dory_gmail_com/Wednesday+Weeds/yellow+daisey+and+red+rock.jpg.html

All the best.

--