Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 24-25/8/2021: Budapest vignettes
From: nwajsman at gmail.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2021 06:51:51 +0200

We are taking a city break in Budapest this week. We have been here since
Tuesday and are flying home Saturday morning. It is basically the first
visit for all of us; I was here with my parents as a 10-year old but
remember virtually nothing from that visit, and my wfie and daughter have
never been here before now. It is proving to be a magnificent city, with
impressive buildings and art, but also charming and very lively. Like other
places in Eastern and Central Europe, it is also heavy with history. Five
images from the first couple of days.

One of the principal streets in the Jewish quarter is called Kazinczy
Street. It has many bars and restaurants; we spotted this couple promenading
their very impressive dogs:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NvQFBBP/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-NvQFBBP/A>

The Doh?ny Street Synagogue is enormous, the largest in Europe and the
second-largest in the world (the largest is in New York). The Jewish
population of Budapest is substantial, around 100,000, but most do not go to
services regularly, so this place is only full for the most important
holidays. But it is magnificent, and behind it are several moving memorials
to the Budapest ghetto, including a mass grave of more than 2000 people
found dead when the Soviet army liberated the ghetto in January 1945:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-jHgtQgL/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-jHgtQgL/A>

Shoes on the Danube Bank is a monument to a group of Jews who were executed
on the banks of the river by the Fascist Arrow Cross militia in early
January 1945, just a couple of weeks before the liberation of the city. The
memorial was created in 2005 and is visited by many. People also leave
candles and flowers amid the shoes:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-w6j2B93/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-w6j2B93/A>

Something amusing, spotted by my daughter as we were walking around:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-SDXpvKz/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-SDXpvKz/A>

Conversation on a balcony, on the edge of the Jewish quarter:
https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z2XKzQs/A
<https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-z2XKzQs/A>

Much more to come. Incidentally, these are full-size JPGs that I shot in the
Fuji X-E3 alongside the RAW images. They seem to work quite well, certainly
for images with good light.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman

Alicante, Spain
http:// <http://www.greatpix.eu/>www.greatpix.eu <http://www.greatpix.eu/>
<http://nathansmusings.wordpress.com/>

YNWA

"I?m not arguing, I?m just explaining why I?m right"

Nathan Wajsman (gmail)
nwajsman at gmail.com
http://www.fotocycle.dk/paws
http://www.greatpix.eu