Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 17/7/2021: a portrait
From: amagayneroshak at gmail.com (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2021 09:21:27 -0500

On 7/21/21 12:54 PM, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
> I am now back from France after a brisk 1400 km drive yesterday, and
processing the many images. This one is a kind of retroactive PAD, since it
was taken on the 17th, and I have already posted the 18th. It is a portrait
of my uncle Joseph in his office at his house. This is where he prepares
his many speeches about his experiences during the roundup of French Jews,
and when he was still active in business, this was the heart of what I
jokingly called his empire. Today, it is decorated with what is important
to him: his family most of all (including photos taken by me, something
that gives me great pleasure), but also clippings of meetings with various
dignitaries, including French Prime Ministers and Presidents. I made
several attempts at a portrait in his office, many unsuccessful?not because
he does not cooperate, he does, but because he has a tendency to close his
eyes at inopportune moments. But this one worked:

> https://www.greatpix.eu/All/Picture-A-Day/i-4m6QbKN/A
>
> The Stars and Stripes on his desk reflects his life-long gratitude to and
love of the United States. He has never forgotten the day in 1944 when the
village in which he was hiding from the Nazis was liberated by US troops.

> Cheers,
> Nathan
You got the eyes, and they say so much.

--