Subject: [Leica] Saturday Sign can you beat this?
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2021 11:46:28 -0500

Here in central Texas we are paying$2.45 to $2.65 per gallon of regular
gas(location matters to price,  we are affluent enough that people won't
drive to save a dime in some demographics).  Diesel is hovering right at
$3.00 a gallon unless you have an agricultural exemption in which case
something like$0.55 is taken off for taxes.

While I have installed a solar system that generates about 100kwh
extraneous to current needs for a potential electric vehicle I still relish
low energy costs.   Texas is a big state with places of interest being long
distance away.   Yesterday there was an interesting cultural event 140 km
away.   We just went to see with no worries.

Everything is about balance.   The entrance fee supported some artists and
the relevant support staff.   22 liters of gasoline has a carbon cost but I
generate 10% of my neighbors electricity,  compost my yard waste,  don't
eat corn and have reduced my consumption of meat.   Everyone talks about 0
carbon emissions but that is unrealistic unless we all become small
freeholders with no trade beyond our village.

Perhaps if the chemical engineers come up with a way to pull carbon from
the air and turn it into all the carbon based items we use everyday from
excess wind and solar generated in our sunny regions.  A hydrogen economy
is problematic because hydrogen is so reactive that most materials
deteriate quickly in useful lifespan terms with the risk of extremely
Taoist oxidation events.