Subject: [Leica] [LRflex] Erwin Puts
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 13:22:03 -0500

I believe that Olympus was the major example of this approach: fix the
optical flaws in the camera software.  Olympus has relatively inexpensive
high performance lenses when used on their bodies.  One advantage is the
micro 4/3 coverage circle.  I believe that Olympus's sin was not moving
aggressively enough in the pixel wars(Leica seems to be coming around to
high pixel count sensors even though many of their lenses aren't designed
around that concept: the APO Summicrons being the exception at a steep
price).

I hope that another major manufacturer will come around to 24x36 sensor
coverage lenses where the camera corrects flaws in the lens.  I believe
this is best done by the body manufacturer as they have the room to put the
ROM that would correct during internal processing for lens flaws.  In a
mature state the camera and lens would talk to each other about focus
distance, aperture, and zoom setting if applicable.

Imagine where you could go from 0.95 Canon massive spherical aberration to
L mount 35 APO Summicron correction just by a menu selection.

My bias is I really like extremely well corrected lenses but cringe at the
size and weight to get there.  Look at the MTF charts for the L mount APO
35 Summicron compared to the MTF of the M mount version: over 90% transfer
at F2 across the field at even high frequencies compared to dipping to only
60% transfer for the M mount on the edges.  But then compare the size and
weight of the two; I believe most people would make the compromise for the
lower size and weight.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2021 at 1:08 PM Frank Filippone via LUG <lug at
leica-users.org>