Subject: [Leica] Comparison Review: Can VueScan or SilverFast archive your film better?: Digital Photography Review
From: boulanger.croissant at gmail.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2021 23:46:10 -0800

I?m with Tina on VueScan. If I need to use my Canon FS-4000 film scanner,
it's what I use. (And Tina, thanks for your tips on using VueScan for faded
slides. They really helped. Pictures soon.)

But ask yourself a question: How much resolution do you really need? For
your early masterpieces that you want to print or pixel-peep, yes, use a
film scanner. But for family photos and memories that are just going to be
viewed on screen, there?s a much faster and more practical solution.  Use
your favorite digital camera with a macro lens and a film or slide copying
attachment. Such an arrangement may not quite resolve Kodachrome grain, but
it's quite good enough for full-screen viewing.

I use my Olympus E-M5 with a manual focus OM 50/3.5 macro lens and a Nikon
ES-1 slide copying adapter, plus a OM-to-micro 4/3 adapter and a couple of
threaded spacing tubes to put the ES-1 at the proper distance from the lens.
And a 100 watt incandescent bulb. If you use a full-frame camera, there are
ready-made slide copying solutions. Moderate cost if you buy new stuff.
Dirt cheap if you use manual focus lenses and cheap and cheerful Chinese
adapters.

I can shoot a couple of slides per minute.  If the color balance on the
original is OK, I shoot JPG, crop and spot later in the computer, and I?m
done. If the color balance is off, I shoot Raw and adjust in post.

My results with my Mom?s Kodachromes, 1949-1970s have been bringing my
cousins and aunts much joy. They lost all their family photos in a house
fire many years ago. My Mom took many slides, but only made a handful of
duplicates for family after my early years. So I?m resurrecting a lot of
family history.

--Peter

Replies: Reply from cartersxrd at gmail.com (CartersXRd) ([Leica] Comparison Review: Can VueScan or SilverFast archive your film better?: Digital Photography Review)