Subject: [Leica] IMG: My COVID World
From: leica_r8 at hotmail.com (Aram Langhans)
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2020 14:54:36 -0800

Perhaps, but hindsight is a strange thing.  25 years ago we would not have
been aware of all we take for granted now.  My wife and I were just now
talking on our walk about such things.  We grew up in the 50's and 60' and
did not have much but neither did our friends.  We did not miss it at all.
We had time to play and use our imaginations rather than being taken to all
kinds of things like sports, dance classes, etc, that parents today think
their kids need.  They are on overload and don't have time to be just kids.
Get some of your buddies together and go fish, or play football or baseball,
or ride bikes all over town.  Give today's kids any free time and they don't
know what to do with themselves.  Their self-image is not who they are but
what they are doing.  They get bored and maybe cause trouble.  Or seek
refuge in drugs.  I got interested in science, met a retired professor a few
doors down and together he and I forged a friendship that lasted until his
death many years later.  I learned a lot from him working in his basement on
insects and other creatures with microscopes and cameras.  Later I dated his
granddaughter for many years.  Today if some old guy befriended some young
kid and had him in his house and basement parents would go nuts.  Sad
commentary on today's life and times.  I think I would have survived a
pandemic back then just fine assuming not actually getting the disease.

Aram