Subject: [Leica] IMG: Poke Weed
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon, 24 Aug 2020 22:30:27 -0500

Badly in need of a trim, which I can no longer provide, my shrubs and
hedges await the end of mowing season, when my yard maintenance crew can
find time in their schedule to do the lengthy job.? Meanwhile, Poke Weed
has invaded these areas and provides feed for the birds.? Swarms of
blackbirds descend on the berries and strip them from the stems.? Today,
I got to one area before the birds found it.

http://www.gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/20200824-P8249175.JPG.html

Histories of the 1700s and 1800s tell of the pioneer housewives learning
to boil and rinse the Poke leaves to remove the poisonous juice and
provide needed vitamins during long covered wagon journeys.

--
Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Replies: Reply from tmanley at gmail.com (Tina Manley) ([Leica] IMG: Poke Weed)