Subject: [Leica] Wednesday Weeds
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 2020 21:58:00 +0530

Yes, I was. Try it my preferred way next time. I eat it this way at least
twice a week, every week!

In a wok, put a reasonable amount of cooking fat - I put a tablespoon of
unsalted butter (for a quantity of 0.5 kg of vegetable), but anything you
like will do. Into it put a teaspoonful of split lentil, whole mustard seed
and whole cumin seed (what we called tadka, aka tempering with spices).
Wait till the lentils brown slightly, and the mustard seed splutters, and
reduce the heat to minimum. The butter should not burn, but stay brown.
Into this add a teaspoonful of turmeric powder, stir a couple times, and
dump the okra, add salt to taste, and a quarter tablespoon of red chilly
powder, and stir thoroughly. Cover the wok, and let it cook slowly, letting
the spices blend. and periodically stirring the okra so it does not burn,
till cooked to taste - do not overcook to the extent that it becomes mushy.
Add either fresh chopped coriander or dried and crushed fenugreek leaves
(available in Indian stores as "Kasauri Methi"), but not both, just before
removing the wok off the heat, and blend in for 20-30 seconds. If you want
to add some oomph, eat it with Greek yoghurt, mixed with roasted and
powdered cumin powder, on the side.

This is what our South Indian food is about, with plenty of blended  spice,
but not chilly hot or oily at all.

Cheers
Jayanand