Subject: [Leica] Well, it does contain images
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Wed, 8 Jan 2020 09:54:20 -0600

This is really a story of nuance and understanding.  First, we should all
accept everyone in the workplace as long as job requirements are met or
improving.  However, baby boomers need to let our children and their
children come in to the workplace and rise as abilities dictate.  It is a
hard balance as there are so many boomers that were not especially
provident in saving; they simply can not afford to retire.  But listening
to my daughter there is a real problem of her generation rising in the
workforce.  The upper branches are clogged by boomers hanging on.  This is
probably more an issue for old careers as new industries tend to be looking
for many new skills not widely held by older workers.

In TECH especially in cases like Brian's, the X'rs and millennials are
doing to the boomers what we boomers have been doing to them in older
industries.  The exception is in truly upper ranks in Fortune 100 companies
that operate much like the military which is up or out.  So in those
industries once you hit 50 unless you are viewed as C suite you will be
riffed out by 60.  This happens for a lot of reasons some financial like
healthcare costs, salary and bonus expense as well as increased accrued
vacation.  More importantly, the industry wants to rapidly move up in the
ranks those high talent younger workers that are viewed as potential
winners before they exit the organization.  In essence the company wants to
do the weeding out.