Subject: [Leica] Chambal Area
From: hcummer at gmail.com (Howard Cummer)
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2019 22:08:50 -0700

Hi Jayanand,
What big nasty fellows!! But I really like the photos!!
Howard

Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2019 13:04:14 +0530
From: Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at gmail.com <mailto:jayanand at
gmail.com>>
To: Leica Users Group <lug at leica-users.org <mailto:lug at
leica-users.org>>, PSM
        <psm-1857 at googlegroups.com <mailto:psm-1857 at googlegroups.com>>

Before I went to Ranthambhore last month, I visited the Chambal River area
for the first time. Chambal, save for the last 30kms before it flows into
the Yamuna (which carries enough pollution from Delhi and Agra to kill all
humankind) is said to be the most pristine river system in India.

This is the last redoubt of the fish eating crocodilian, the Gharial, for
which the National Chambal Gharial Wildlife Sanctuary has been set up, on a
stretch of river bordering three large states. Once common in the riverine
systems of North India, it is now estimated that only 300-800 remain in the
wild, thanks to the usual pollution, over fishing and entanglement in
fishing nets. They are among the largest crocodilians, males have been
known to reach 20 feet. On this stretch where both the Gharial and Mugger
Crocodiles are found, the Gharials did look much more massive to my eyes:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3822.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3822.jpg.html>

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3767.jpg.html

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/jayanand/Ranthambhore_001/2019/Chambal/ChamBharat-20190311-3767.jpg.html>