Subject: [Leica] S snapshots
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2013 19:21:12 -0400

As far as " But the M9 and M are better studio cameras than the S2 and S are
street cameras ;-)" I do see the winky winky but I caution anyway in casual
limiting of the S abilities as these ideas catch one: my feeling is as usual
to quote myself I quote "its always what you don't think"
The example being the Hasselblad. There are those who  would never take it
off a tripod and those who never take the flash off. Those who never take it
outside. Me I've found it as handy as my Rolleiflex whose case it fits in
like a glove. For street shooting. Hand held. And yes tripod and or flash.

As far those who would really say the S being not a street camera that's a
tougher sell as its configured just like a DSLR or SLR not a modular Box
cameras the Hasselblad was. There are those who cant think inside the box.
But everyone loves a camera configured like an SLR.

There are plenty who will limit the S as they are thus saving themselves
$21,950.00 just as they did when they marginalized a Hasselblad in the film
days. People did that with Leica M's as well.
Medium format photography is not for everybody and in this day and age a
DSLR is more than an SLR with a D in front of it if its full frame. One
feels one is getting pie in the sky output. Until one sees the work from a
medium format digital camera.

I feel strongly the S system is pure genius and will prove itself as such.
That fact that it will be embraced more by the people on the medium format
lists than on the Leica lists is no big deal.
It is after all what one could call a "metal munching Leica".
And that variety has always had some resistance.
Its the same weight and build as a Canon or Nikon top of the line but will
produce results it blows out of the water. As long as we are not hand
holding at night with no flash.
And results  we don't need to pixel peep to see.
If a company is going to come out with the greatest camera in the world it
may as well be Leica as far as I go as I feel its long been the greatest
camera company. A company I'm heavily invested in in multiple ways.