Subject: [Leica] IMG: On the corner of the street
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2013 10:22:38 -0800

philippe.amard SHOWED:
I'm still editing my catalogue and reworked this one last night:

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/Phileica/Street+Corners/SC-Pharmacia+in+Barcelona.jpg.html
may be viewed large, as usual<<<<<<<<

Bon jour Philippe mon ami,
A beautiful early evening photograph!

For those who maynot know this little light trick! :-) The secret to the
success of this photo is not just the "photographer extraordinaire!"

"BUT THE TIME HE SHOT THE PHOTO!"
When one is shooting evening street scenes and or similar situations is when
there is still subtle light in the sky! Quite often we photographers are
taken by the massive street illumination and shoot leaving huge areas in
almost blackout conditions with little or nothing in the darker areas.

What we have here is a photograph shot while there's still light in the
western sky slightly affecting the overall scene. Almost unnoticeable as it
should be. Yet assisting to the success of the photo.

Let the sky go black and much of the street and area scenery is lost due to
no sky light reflecting back to Earth.

If you look carefully in this photograph to the right side you can still
slightly make out the "sky-light" adding to the overall illumination of the
scene!

Whenever I've been shooting situations such as we see here in strange areas.
I use the compass in my vest or shoulder bag to establish east and west sky
direction. Obviously there are times it isn't necessary as the street scene
is open enough to the sky one can see the difference of illumination level
knowing which is east & west sky! Then you know which way to look for the
magic of the sky-light and where it adds most effectively to the scene.

Of course you still look for the magic situations and light as you walk
about. But sometimes knowing the directions can make for interesting effects
by just walking across the street and have an east-west look.

So endth the lesson for today. ;-)

cheers,
Dr.ted