Subject: [Leica] IMGs: Too much? or Not enough?
From: imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 10:48:24 -0600

Thanks to all who've weighed in.

The very subjective nature of viewing, with all its personal preferences,
continues to fascinate me.
It seems extremely apparent that we can never please every viewer; and
better have a good idea of what it is "we" want to say about a subject.

regarding <http://www.imagist.com/blog/?p=4755>

Without doubt the second (softer) image more closely renders how the real
rocks and snow appeared? perhaps could even be called more "truthful."
In the beefed up version the snow begins to appear almost icy; and the top
rock looks nothing like its actual self, while the bottom rock does maintain
some "accuracy."
Yet the first obviously has graphic punch that the second only whispers
about.

In the end I actually think that the softer version requires more time and
contemplation;
while the punchy version works better for the quick glance.

PRO #1

Richard in Michigan: I very much preferred the First Image - there was a
richness and a  subtlety to the tones and the depth of highlights and the
shadows that is very much to my liking. The Second Image was a bit flat and
a little weak in the highlight details for my tastes - these ARE aspects
which might have been fine in a large print or viewed much larger on the
screen.

Tina Manley wrote: I much prefer the first one for the extra detail in the
rock and snow.

Alastair offered: For me the "effect" shot is snappier, it looks a bit
overprocessed, but the effect is in keeping with the subject. The softer
image is less in keeping with the textured surfaces of rock and snow, but
does look more "realistic". Given that the photographer 'saw' the textured
image and wanted to display that in his creation, I have no issue with the
snappier processing.

A MIDDLE GROUND

R. Clayton wrote: "You're basically recapitulating the ancient "condenser
vs. diffusion" enlarger argument here... so much that the content of the
shot resembles Picker's examples. The diffusion prints, by themselves, are
grey and unfinished, but DO hold more fine detail, but I find condenser
prints much more appealing when hung on the wall."

Mark Pope, I like both versions, though I think I'm leaning towards the
second, which seems more natural.  I wonder whether there's a middle ground
- a sort of "Goldilocks" version, which has some, but not all of the punch
of the top image, which may be the best of both worlds.

PRO #2

Simon wrote: "absolutely too much.The top one looks like an alien artifact
.Now please don't tell me it's the original."

Steve said: our eyes are pretty used to the way things look, so if it seems
too good to be true, then it's likely not true.... the second one.

Montie: Gravitating toward the one with less detail (second one). I'll
figure out why later after coffee  :-)

Regards,
George Lottermoser
george at imagist.com