Subject: [Leica] The Farmers Market
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2010 23:34:10 -0700

So, after eight years of getting totally out of practice, I decided
to attempt some street photography. Approached the market area with
butterflies in my stomach: "Don't take my picture," I remember a
vendor saying to me some years ago. When I last tried it, the camera
was an M6 and I remember metering the sunlight and shadow areas and
remembering the two F stops that worked at my chosen shutter speed. I
probably used the rangefinder religiously.

Today, with an M9, I decided that I could just leave it sit at F/11.
Then, taking to heart an article I had read recently, I decided to
just set F/11 on the infinity mark, i.e. setting it at the hyperfocal
distance for F/11. It was a pleasure. I'd just slam the camera up to
my eye and snap; nobody noticed me. Because of what I thought was the
high contrast of the situation, after shooting the first half dozen,
I set it up to bracket: three shots, one a stop under, one a stop
over. When I got to look in Lightroon, it was obvious that bracketing
had not been necessary. The range was within the latitude of the
sensor, and all wanted adjustments could be done in Lightroom.

C & C Welcome.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/herbk1/Market/

Herb
--