Subject: [Leica] Be's Soccer Game
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 14 Mar 2010 10:30:43 +1000

Ric, IF your grey card is completely neutral then you would get a correct
setting for the light that was falling on that, yes.
Grey cards are not always neutral (being originally intended for that
overall tonal level rather than white balance) and of course as you said the
light will vary across the area in a case like this.

You can consider shooting one frame with a WHIBAL card or similar in it and
then set your WB from that in LR or ACR, using that to synchronise all of
your shots. I do that for portraits.
http://www.rawworkflow.com/
Really most of these methods work best in studio situations or where you
have controlled conditions of course.
What I was trying to point out was that auto WB in your camera often makes a
good guess at what you need and that you can change it afterwards in Raw
with no penalty. Later firmware for your M8 improved its WB performance
also. Having the same setting in developing that you found acceptable for
one frame can then be used to make the others consistent.
 Cheers
Geoff
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman