Subject: [Leica] New Zealand Awaits......
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Wed, 23 Dec 2009 13:41:18 -0500

Hi Frank,

Standard tourism stuff you can find in the various guides so I'll won't get
into that. Some pseudo-random thoughts and suggestions.

Photographically, I found the most interesting areas are the wet areas. The
west (wet) coast of South Island is fascinating due to the flora - lots
different variety of ferns. Very different texture to the forest. Milford
Sound is wonderful especially in the rain (though my wife may not agree :).
We saw it in a down pour when countless waterfalls appears out of the mist.
I stood out in the downpour with my M4P (no housing or even bags) for about
an hour to take pictures

By the way, it can rain a *lot* on the wet coast. Be prepared.

Geologically, NZ is quite interesting. It is like if you squeeze Canada into
a strip of land about 300 KM wide. In that 300 KM, there is temperate rain
forest, alpine, semi-desert, and plains. A retired geologist told me once
that it is one of the very few places (perhaps the only) in the world where
you will see glaciers at almost sea level and so close to the ocean. It is
also probably the only place in the world where one can cycle from rain
forest through alpine to semi-desert in one day.

On the Cantebury plains, you may encounter the north westerly winds. Can be
extremely strong (100KPH) and last for a few days.

The cities are just cities. Christchurch has an interesting botanical
garden. Queenstown is focussed on activities - bungee jumping, jetboat
rides,...

Christchurch is great for (relatively cheap) Japanese food. Queenstown is
not bad also but not up to CC standard. Auckland has good Asian hawker style
food (Food Alley?)

There is a very nice museum in Wellington, Te Papa(?). It is NZ's national
museum.

Wonderful place for cycling though away from the Canterbury Plains, it can
be very hilly. Lots of nice hiking in the mountains.

No poisonous insects or snakes or toads. The national pest is sandflies
which is found most commonly near water. In North America, they are known as
blackflies. Take insect repellent.

If you see a possum on the road, please run them over. They are an
unwelcomed visitor from Australia and was denuding the forest when we were
there. They are endangered in Australia but a serious threat to the native
flora and fauna in NZ.

It's been about 10 years since we've been there. Would like to go back
someday.

If you have more specific questions, contact me via email.

Regards,
Spencer