Subject: [Leica] Bike bag
From: lrzeitlin at aol.com (lrzeitlin at aol.com)
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 16:54:56 -0400

"Can anyone recommend me a good bag that can be preferably attached to
the
bicycle ,not to my body? and can protect the camera in small accidents.
I'm
recently doing a lot of cycling, but the camera is something that I'm
afraid
to take with. the bag should have enough space for and R9 and lens."

Best regards
Ali Yazdi

- - - - - - -

Ali,
If you are like me, your bike will inevitably fall over. Things in soft
sided panniers or saddlebags will get a good whack from time to time. I
found a Pelican waterproof plastic case to be the answer. Pelican makes
cases for cameras, computers, and other delicate instruments that must
be protected from water and shock. The one I used to carry an Olympus
SLR, lenses, and other stuff on a bike tour in the Adirondacks was made
of yellow plastic, probably polycarbonate, about 12" by 8" x 6".
Pelican sells a variety of cases of different sizes. Mine had a foam
interior cushion that could be cut to the shape of the camera to
protect it from shock and hold it in place. The seal around the edge
was waterproof. I know this for a fact because I used the same case
when sailing and dropped it overboard when it contained an M3 Leica and
three lenses. It floated and not a single drop got inside
I clamped the case to a rear carrier on the bike but it could be
fastened using straps or bungee cords. The rest of my camping stuff and
clothes were carried in front and rear panniers. I didn't care if my T
shirts got dented.
Similar cases in aluminum are made by Zero Halliburton and others.
Large photo stores carry them for professional photographers wanting to
protect equipment from hard knocks.
A small, light P&S camera is best carried in a fanny pack.
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from imagist3 at mac.com (George Lottermoser) ([Leica] Bike bag)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Bike bag)
Reply from rhc3vt at hotmail.com (Richard Coutant) ([Leica] Bike bag)