Subject: [Leica] How to protect the M8
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Thu Feb 5 21:02:07 2009

I find the half case with hanging flap very good. I need to take the camera
out of the case to change the memory card or battery. I have 4GB SDHC cards
now and one battery charge is about 4GB worth of photos so I would seldom
have to take the camera out of the case more than once a day. Just pop the
flap open for settings or looking at previews etc. For lefties, the flap
keeps the LCD cleaner too (nose grease ). If you are carrying the camera
turned on, the leather can sometimes push the buttons underneath and change
a setting . Once I shot 4 or 5 jpgs before I realised this. The case does
make the camera fatter. Mine has just a little bump on the front which makes
it a lot more secure to hold when vertical. .You can get them with a built
in grip too. I think if I was buying one again, I would get the built-in
grip version and the cutaway at the back for the Thumbs Up accessory. After
about a year you can see the leather in that spot (film advance lever
location) worn down by my thumb.
One side affect is that no-one but an M8 owner ever recognises this as a
modern digital camera. something about my M8 in its 'aged brown' leather
clothing of case and strap appeals to subjects! "Oh you have such a nice old
camera. (You must be a nice old guy) Of course you can take my picture'
Cool!