Subject: [Leica] OT best light monopod ?
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Mar 8 08:52:22 2008

I have a Manfrotto non-carbon I use with my M8 and my Canon 1Ds MkII.
I don't use a ball head with it, just mount the camera directly to the
top of the monopod. The ball adds too many degrees of freedom although
if you're going to be shooting in "portrait" orientation you'll want
something to do that job.

I use the monopod as a bit of a walking stick as well as a camera
support which is why I chose not to go the carbon route. The wrong
torque/bending moment and you have expensive splinters while
aluminum/steel will only bend. A bit of reinforcement for that - in
our car crash the only part of my bike that had to be replaced was the
Zipp stem, carbon fiber, and the wheels which the firemen stood on to
get my wife out of the car. The Ti frame etc was completely undamaged.

I am unsure about th weight difference but the cost difference might
be substantial between alternate materials.

Best regards, can't wait to order your book,

Adam