Subject: [Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives
From: robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert D. Baron)
Date: Thu May 24 09:44:36 2007

Brian Reid observed:

> I use Retrospect; I depend on it, and have used it for years.
> But I absolutely do not recommend it to beginners. It is an obscure and
> complex program, and adopting it might lead you to doing fewer backups.
> Trying to learn how to use it might result in you hitting your own head
> with
> a hammer.

I could sign an Affidavit confirming this.

Last fall a hard drive started to fail.  I called my IT Professional
over and told him I had installed Retrospect and had been backing up to
an external drive.  He checked the external drive and told me I had done
it wrong and he couldn't recover the backups.  Fortunately he was able
to somehow coax the data off the failing hard drive before it completely
gave up the ghost.

I have been told this is a fairly common occurrence: people think they
are making usable backups when in fact they are not.

I will look at the Retrospect Express packaged with the MyBook but I
will also look at Data Backup from Prosoft and possibly other suggested
programs.

I appreciate all the help.

--Bob

Replies: Reply from shino at panix.com (Rei Shinozuka) ([Leica] Question Re Backing Up to External Hard Drives)