Subject: [Leica] photographing the homeless
From: kcassidy at asc.upenn.edu (Kyle Cassidy)
Date: Fri Jan 19 08:02:33 2007

It's a strict violation of the 10 Commandments of Plug Photography to
photograph the homeless, because it's such a cheap shot at making a
shortcut to meaning. It allows us to appear socially conscious while
keeping 50 milimieters of distance between a wrecked human life and our
own. Maybe I should change that rule to "Don't photograph the homeless
with anything wide than a 15mm". If you're going to do it, you should
have your face up in it.

Omar's a real conundrum. He's live in my neighborhood for years, in the
summer sleeping on the steps of the coffee house and in the winter
sometimes on the porches or garages of neighbors. He's friendly and even
charming during the day but he's a heavy drinker and a mean drunk and
one by one, people's patience wears out and businesses start adopting a
"no omar" policy. He's banned from the coffee shop and most of the
places he used to hang out, most of the bars won't let him in, but
there's still something fascinating about him. Like many successful
panhandlers he's endearing in short doses. I've been photographing him
in passing for maybe five years.

I saw him last week and said "Omar, you look like a freaking GQ model."
"I don't have much," he said. "You know, I don't have anything, but it's
important to look nice."

http://www.asc.upenn.edu/usr/cassidy/pix/paw/2007/3/1.jpg

Replies: Reply from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] photographing the homeless)
Reply from leicachris at worldnet.att.net (Christopher Williams) ([Leica] Re:photographing the homeless)