Subject: [Leica] 2500 ISO
From: telyt at earthlink.net (Douglas Herr)
Date: Mon Nov 6 20:29:00 2006

On Nov 6, 2006, at 7:34 PM, Ted Grant wrote:

> Jayanand Govindaraj offered:
> Subject: Re: [Leica] 2500 ISO
>

>> Tina,
>> Unlikely that I would want to, at that price. I would buy a Nikon
>> D80/D200 or an equivalent Canon at one fifth the price. maybe even a
>> Panasonic or Sony with a 10MP chip. I would forgo 2500 ASA, and
>> shooting at night without a tripod and save US$4000. So be it. This
>> is my opinion. Yours might be different and I respect that.
>> Cheers Jayanand<,,,,

<SNIP>

>>> I would forgo 2500 ASA, and shooting at night without a tripod and
>>> save US$4000.<<<<
>
> But then sir you have not had the good fortune to be on assignment
> under this type of darkness or non-light situation and still come back
> with fine Photos. Unobtrusively taken and a successful assignment
> completed.  Without any excuse of.... "I didn't have my tripod
> therefore I couldn't take pictures!"

This weekend warrior appreciates the no-light capabilities of the DMR,
using ISO 1600 and even 3200 when required to get the picture.  I
haven't compared it with the results from competing brands but the
high-ISO noise looks to my eye like ISO 400 film grain, the color
quality is delightful and none of the photos I've made with it have
anywhere near the 'plastic' look I've seen in some digital photos.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from jbm at jbm.org (Jeff Moore) ([Leica] DMR processing/workflow (was: 2500 ISO))
Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] 2500 ISO)