Subject: [Leica] Which camera would you NOT CARRY IN YER POCKET
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Tue Sep 5 21:07:56 2006

At 11:48 PM 9/5/2006, Ted Grant wrote:

>People who think everyone will see them carrying
>a camera usually feel insecure themselves in
>carrying the camera! They'd give themselves away
>with one of those little bitty Minox things.;-)
>
>I put an M on my left shoulder and I feel no
>different. It's part of my attire. Actually I
>feel undressed if it isn't there. And the strap
>is set specifically to allow the camera to come
>up to my left eye and go "click!" And down
>before anyone realizes I've done it.;-)
>
>And with an M7 set to AE lock my heavens it's up
>- down faster than an eye blink. :-)

Dread nought, and be thus the wiser.  Take a
camera.  Go to a place.  Look for pictures. Take
them.  Process them (note that I am being neutral
here:  you can process chemically or, if you need
to do this, on the computer).  Then see what you
have.  Well over 90% of our pictures are not
worthy of further effort -- didn't Weston leave
some huge archive of 95% of his negatives never
printed when he died?  And then ordered them all
destroyed?  Probably a wise move, though we shall never know.

Take pictures. Review them.  Share those that you
wish to share.  Or hold them to yourself if you
are, as I am, rather private about my photo efforts.  But take pictures.

Street photography is great  I grew up walking
through the roughest sections of Pittsburgh, back
in the days of yellow skies and the like.  By the
age of 12, I knew how to get out of tough
situations peacefully, with an understanding that
any one person can meet a maniac at any time ant
then your clock has chimed its last ding.  So,
for me to take a camera into a tough neighborhood
is no hu-hu:  I act like I belong there, and I do
my thing and, on occasion, I meet a former client
recently sprung from the Clink who will greet me
with glee and demand that I take pictures of them
with their families.  (Damned, but I am glad to be a retired attorney!)

Take your camera.  Act as if you belong
there.  Then go and do it.  I generally toss a
camera in my car when I am going somewhere --
usually my M6 and bag but, on occasion, a Werra
or a Retina or, if I am travelling light, my
Hasselblad SWC (see!  I DO take wide-angle
shots!) or my Rolleiflex 2.8F or 2.8GX.  But I
always have a Rollei 35S in my glovebox and a
roll of film about, so that a vital shot be not missed.

I rarely go out to shoot any more -- I am almost
as retired a photographer as I am a retired
attorney.  But I always see the possibilities.  I
missed a great one once, when I had a loaded
camera in the car, and the family of the fellow
later fussed at my failure to stop and shoot.  I
shall not make that mistake again.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!