Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 32, Issue 434
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Sun Aug 27 09:41:33 2006

On Aug 27, 2006, Hoppy wrote:

> Bob, I look forward to the pictures, of course. But also a report
> on how the
> travel kit works out.
> I have a trip to scenic destination coming up and was checking out the
> light-weight tripods, for example. What was your polariser decision?
> The Leica elegant engineering million dollar option or something
> else? I was
> looking at a neat option by Kenko which has a matching finder and
> viewer, so
> you match numbers on the viewer and polar, if that makes sense.
> Go on, leave the computer for getting your mail and checking the
> Bay. Shoot
> film, man.
>
> You'd have to use some Velvia 100F with the scenery as well, surely.
> Got all of that Velvia 50 saturation but a more reasonable ISO and
> a bit
> less cruel on the odd skin tone, I think. Only a bit.
>
> Cheers
> Envious Hoppy who hasn't been to Hawaii for thirty years or so.

Hoppy -

Someone (I've unfortunately forgotten who) on the reflex list
suggested that I look at the Hakuba 'pods - went to a local retailer
and compared it to the corresponding Gitzo option and found to my
considerable surprise that I liked the Hakuba much better (not to
mention $300 vs around $600 for the Gitzo w/head.)  Model 503 dash-
something-or-other it is.  Spec'd at 4 lbs (measures a few ounces
over) with the head, it uses just a touch of center-column extension
for the scenic thang and quickly extends high enough to shoot them
birds up in a nearby tree with the head screwed into the 400.  Very
nice ergonomics; so far she looks like a real winner.

My research seemed to indicate that the animal known as the Kaesmann
linear polariser (B&W) was the way to go for best image quality -
looks like I'll be putting it on and off the lenses and using index
marks for reference.  Seems that them circular polarisers use an
extra 1/4 wave disk behind a linear polarisation disk to restore an
equivalent amount of cross-polarisation for the benefit of our
friends the beam-splitters, etc., which can degrade imaging a bit.
The Leica swing-out, by the way, is linear also, but without using
the Kaesmann method (an explanation of which I'll spare ya, but it
"looks good on paper".)

While we're at it I'll also put in my pre-shoot endorsement of the
LowePro Compu-Trekker Plus AW.  Holds everything I'll be using
(including he Mac, which I won't be hiking with), I can keep the 400
on the 20D and it's got its own pullover raincoat for those flash
drizzles.  Also seems like it may (and they claim it currently does)
qualify as a carry-on piece here in the States.

You're right about the Velvia, although a bit more latitude would
help in some shooting situations.

Bob Palmieri