Subject: [Leica] A modern website
From: bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen)
Date: Tue Apr 4 16:34:56 2006

Hi, Arche - First, it's about 115, not 220 - and I'll be editing it down to
about 80 images - in fact I've got a former Magnum editor doing an edit on
it for me. As to the model release - the subway is a public place, and as
such there is no legal expectation of privacy. I can shoot, I can display, I
can publish. What I can't do is sell the images for commercial purposes such
as advertising. And I can't use them for editorial or news purposes that
don't accurately convey the situation I photographed. But I can do a book of
them without releases. Can you imagine if Gary Winnogrand had had to get
releases for the 10s of thousands of images he shot on the street? :-)