Subject: [Leica] re: digital treadmill
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Mon Jan 16 12:34:05 2006

  feli wrote:

> The way I understand it, the big reason why inkjet prints don't
> look like silver prints, is because of the differences in how light
> reacts to their respective surfaces. With an inkjet print the ink
> (image) sits on top of the surface of the paper and the light
> reflects off of it. With a fiber silver prints, the image is in the
> depth of the paper.

I have thought the same thing. This is very apparent with matte
prints -- they have the distinct appearance of being "on the
surface". On the other hand, silver RC prints have the appearance of
being under a glaze. At least to my eye, the K3 prints on a glossy
surface such as Epson Premium Glossy, have the appearance of being
"in the depth". In order to see any "gloss differential" you need to
hold the print at an extreme angle.

Don't take my word for it. The 2400 printer is now widely available
and I suspect you can bring in a laptop to some places and print out
a test copy for yourselves.

> The light penetrates the surface and scatters below it.  So, I
> don't know if it will ever be possible for the two to look the
> same. They are two different aesthetics based on two different
> technologies.

I understand what you are saying and in the past I have entirely
agreed -- up until essentially now, perhaps there remain slight
differences between inkjet prints and air dried fiber. In the
*recent* prints I've made I can see much less of a distinction. It is
to the point I'd bet that in a blind comparison of prints under glass
it would be very difficult to see any difference at all. Certainly
with a loupe you can still tell.

Jonathan

Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)
Message from jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden) ([Leica] re: digital treadmill)