Subject: [Leica] Salgado' s work--reflection
From: wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith)
Date: Mon Dec 5 04:37:16 2005

Gerry:

  I guess the only thing I could say critical about some of his work ( I saw
173 in this showing) is that I had this strange feeling that it was "staged"
or "choreographed". I hate to say that, but can anyone be that lucky/
talented to get those shots? On the other hand, maybe he just shot a ton of
film. Who knows. Only Salgado I guess. But that doesn't take anything away
from the impact of the images.

  Maybe he's a Breeson with a highly refined social conscience or is that
pure blasphemy on LUG?

  Bill

Gerry Walden <gwpics@googlemail.com> wrote:
  On 05/12/05, Bill Smith wrote:
> Yesterday I had the priviledge to see a rather extensive showing of
> Salgado's work in a suburb of Seoul, Korea. To say I was overwhelmed is an
> understatement. His sensitivity to the poor human condition of some and
> indeed suffering on several continents and ability to record it on film
> (?) on powerful portraits are amazing.
>
> I will never forget many of those haunting images.
>
> Bill

I am sure that is the same exhibition I saw in Paris a couple of years
ago and the work is fabulous, and I don't mind admitting that some of
the images bought tears to my eyes for their beauty. And I think that
is one of the problems with Salgados work - he has the ability to take
a poor child on the edge of starvation and elevate the image to a work
of art. Having said that, I don't want to decry from his work in any
way what so ever. For me he is probably the greatest living
photographer with a very strong humanitarian message and fantastic
prints which have to be icons of their time. I have one hanging on my
wall (a mere reproduction I am afraid) as i type this, and it brings
me a mixture of pleasure and pain every single time I look at it.

Gerry

--
Gerry Walden LBPPA
Web: www.gwpics.com