Subject: [Leica] leica digital back-initial test results
From: phong at doan-ltd.com (Phong)
Date: Mon Apr 11 05:14:12 2005

Frank Filippone wrote:
> Jonathan.. I might agree, however, in a wet darkroom, you modify an image
> that is already captured on film to make a print.  The use of different
> developers in making the latent image permanent, is usually at the lowest
> change to the image itself.  Sure. some folk like the look of Tri-X grain,
> but usually the negative is made to be as clean a reproduction of
> the scene as possible.  Making the print is where most of the change is
made.
> In a digital camera, the image is created without regard for the users
> intentions: the software is built into the camera.  The image is always
> modified, and you as the user have no choice.

I find that film photography also modifies the image and leaves me
with no choice.   To wit, color film _never_  reproduce the real colors,
there is always some shift, sometimes closer to what I see, sometimes
not.  Another example, dynamic range; please do not tell me that
film always faithfully reproduces the dynamic range you see with
your eyes.

Film and digital photography certainly are different but if anything,
digital photography gives you more practical choices in faithfully
reproducing what you see.  But as the lesson on Morals in my
Philosophy 101 class taught me long ago,  when you are given
more choices, you are more free to do Bad, as well as Good.
Such is the nature of Free Will.

The Truth is not in the tool.  It is in how you use it.

- Phong
Oh, I forgot, I did say there is no Truth, didn't  I ?
:-)