Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 29, Issue 369, digital M
From: laurencejjohn at yahoo.co.uk (Laurence John)
Date: Mon Apr 11 03:36:11 2005

I believe that a Leica digital M also has to be "upgradeable" when new
technology (pixel no, type etc & internal software) becomes available.  Why
buy a such an "over-priced" camera that lasts at least 50 years, when
digital is so disposable?  It has to be able to have the "guts" removed and
replaced - then the outer skin can continue as long as we like the RF
format.  I have a Digilux 2 (which I love) and I hope that may be upgradable
too.

If a digital M comes out for $4k, I'll be over to the US like a shot
(cluching my M6 to trade in).  My local UK dealer reckons on over ?3k - work
that out to $ !!!!!!!!!

My UK dealer (35 years Leica dealer) also reckons they won't go down -
German law dictated they had to make the "loss" (costs for Japan subsid, DMR
& digital M) known to the press, and that caused the fuss.  They reckon
they've weathered worse in the past and that the the digital M will be out
in '06.

Laurence John

Message: 10