Subject: [Leica] FWI: Vermeer, light, and the camera
From: r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor)
Date: Thu Mar 31 04:40:31 2005

Painter David Hockney believes the use of optical devices was common
in painting   - see "Secret Knowledge," by Hockney (Thames and
Hudson).  Phillip Steadman, whose work was discussed in the third
site below, has written a book about Vermeer's use of the camera
obscura - "Vermeer's Camera,"  (Oxford).

Given his apparent interest in optical reproduction, one wonders what
Vermeer might have done with a few rolls of Kodachrome, though I
suspect we are all richer for the fact that he had to use paint and
brushes to render his images, however he constructed them.

Dick
Boston MA