Subject: [Leica] Seeking a new 50 - Buying Tips
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sat Mar 26 10:34:24 2005

It's true that clean old collapsible Leitz lenses are rare as white
elephants - but there's a way to CLA them.

I had found, for less than $50, a collapsible 50 summicron with scratched
coating, some very light haze and dust inside and a corroded, very stiff
focus ring. After a CLA at focalpointlens.com, the glass is now
astonishingly clear and clean except 1 little dust spec inside (not in the
centre, should not affect picture quality); and the focus ring is still
slightly stiff, but is getting better and better with using. CLA incl.
recoating and 2 shippings costed $300.

Seen this way, it's not impossible to have a clean collapsible
summicron/summar/summitar for a reasonable price.

Didier

Replies: Reply from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] Seeking a new 50 - Buying Tips)