Subject: [Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05
From: masonster at gmail.com (David Mason)
Date: Mon Mar 21 16:18:19 2005

On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 16:06:56 -0800, Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca> wrote:
> May I give you some advice for what it's worth? I'd not do this approach
> again simply because you break into their spur of the moment expressions
> and
> they tend to become a "snap shot of a person" and not what I'm sure you
> went
> their to capture, even if it wasn't the loud mouth screaming fanatic. But
> really? More from the point of your safety, just in case you get some
> hopped
> up idiot who'll bang you to the ground, smash your camera and or physically
> injure you on the premise he simply believes you are a police officer or
> some type of security person gathering faces in the crowd.
>
> And you as an amateur shooter, no picture is worth getting your face kicked
> in for some demo pictures. Leave it to the pros who get paid big dollars to
> get involved.

Ted, thanks for the comments,

You seem to be the one person to pick up on my experiment here. I
really wanted to see what would happen if I told people what I was
doing as opposed to taking the candid approach. Unfortunately  it is
going to only get harder for us to take photos of people without their
permission, but asking it can be a tall hurdle for those of us who
don't always feel "outgoing".

I doubt I would do the same thing again if I went to another protest -
it was simply a different approach simply to see what happened. I felt
more confident doing it because I was so willing to say "no problem, I
don't need to take you picture" - I also explained to people that I
was just trying to take portraits of people who showed up to support
the cause. I was surprised by the number of people who agreed. Only
one person accused me of being a CIA operative - can you guess which
one? http://www.dmason.net/protest/

If I did do it again I would probably try to do it for the DNC as I
have worked on and off for them and various campaigns (though not as a
photographer) - some credentials would probably help out :) Having
said that, I don't really want to - its not really the kind of thing I
want to shoot, it was spur of the moment in Chicago.

Cheers,

Dave

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)
Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)
Message from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)
Message from masonster at gmail.com (David Mason) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)
Message from rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Iraq occupation protest - Chicago 3/19/05)