Subject: [Leica] Cultural Identifications and B.D.
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Wed Jun 23 16:21:57 2004

B.D. is speaking of average and frequent communication, not polished
literary exercizes.

No, the overall of written communication has not declined so much as that
the inability of many folks to write legible missives has been highlighted
thanks to e-mail.  An inability to communicate clearly has been endemic in
the US for the past century:  most engineering schools had to institute
mandatory "clear writing" courses around twenty years ago, and George C
Marshall, the "architect of victory" in the Second World War -- and the
ultimate apostle of simplified and clear communications in a military
environment -- could not concoct a clean and simple message to save his own
soul.

None of us want to be judged by our private notes -- my Court files are
full of personal abbreviations utile only to me and the like which are so
much gibberish to anyone other, though I try to use standard legal
abbreviations such as the Greek Delta for a defendant and the Greek Pi for
a plaintiff in the event that I am stricken unto death by a lightening bolt
in my next Court appearance.

E-mail is supposed to be an informal communications medium.  As such, an
occasional mis-spelling is simply a minor glitch.  But communications must
be CLEAR and CLEAN and, thus, an e-mail missive laden with grammatical
errors and typographical errors serves to block communication and to make
this clean and clear.

Finally, and I suspect that B.D. will object to this, our communications
skills define our professional persona.  Send in a resume laden with
mis-spellings and syntactical errors, and observe how rapidly you do not
get the job. I am an attorney and hold an MA in Classical Languages:  you
can bet your sweet bippy that I lace my legal writings with obscure Latin
phrases and the like both to improve clarity (a phrrase in Latin can often
be much more definitive than can one in English) and to intimidate the
opposition, who probably did a year of Spanish in High School and no
foreign language studies beyond this.  It often works;  the Judges often
call me when clarification is needed on a Latin phrase submitted by another
attorney which they do not understand.  (It DOES help to have a Master's
Degree from Yale in Classical Languages -- that makes me appear a
w?nderkind though, if the truth be told, an MA in the hard academic
disciplines at an Ivy League college is probably just so much of a booby
prize appended to folks who failed to make the PhD grade, as was my case.
It was a Booby Prize, though one earned properly.)

What I am suggesting is that being regarded as professional requires the
wearing of a long-sleeve cotton starched shirt, though the sleeves can be
rolled up and the jacket set aside.  Written and oral communications must
be clear and the use of slang must not intrude into the meaning -- the use
of the term "bling", for instance, is not recommended.

The "Urban Gentry" is a wide-open environment.  I am a member and so be it.
 Getting admitted is not difficult.  Most of my cohorts are rather
thoughtless and brain-dead but, what the hey, that is who they are.

Fifteen years ago, I decided that I did not care to be included in this
classification.  The pressure to be so included is significant but it is
interesting to note the returns:  when I am invited to join a private club,
I normally respond with Groucho Marx's "I would never be a member of a Club
which would have folks like me as members" or whatever he said.

So, I guess I am still a professional gentry sort though I am not certain
what to do with this.  BD to the contrary, I really do NOT sit around with
my fellows planning the destruction of capitalism and freedom in the US and
the world.

Marc

msmall@infionline.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!