Subject: [Leica] Speaking of color and BW
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Fri May 7 22:05:43 2004

B. D. posted pictures:

> I just posted four new images at
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/BDCOLENPHOTOS
> The first two, of my younger son and his girl friend, were shot as bw
> with the C8080 - the third and fourth, of older son and his girl friend,
> are the same photo, first as shot in color - 800 asa, with E-1, and then
> converted to bw using the FredMiranda action. Both the color and BW
> version were adjusted similarly in Photoshop. So does color add, or
> distract? We give you the images - you decide! :-)<<<<<

Hi B. D.,
Well you know me, I'm partial to B&W when it comes to people, unless of
course they're wrapped in colourful clothes. ;-)

Nick and friend 2 in B&W has so much appeal to it your eye is right on his
smiling face without any colour interfering. Would it be better in colour? I
don't think so, because it's their smiles that matter and that's were our
eyes go immediately and they stay there, rather than being distracted or
drawn away by colour.. And I don't think colour would add anything to it.

By the way tell Nick he's got one pretty lady! ;-)

The other couple you printed both, it's the same thing. I don't see the
colour doing anything to enhance the picture. While the B&W seems to draw
the eyes to them without wandering around chasing colours even though the
colours are soft and muted. I suppose one could say they're about evenly
matched for viewing. Although I still prefer the B&W. ;-) I know I'm
prejudiced! ;-)
ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Re: Speaking of color and BW)