Subject: Re: [Leica] What a prosumer camera is
From: frank theriault <knarf.theriault@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 17:58:35 -0400

Hi, bd,

Well, with the greatest of respect, that's a rather silly thing to say,
isn't it?

Zone focusing or hyperfocusing is a useful tool.  Why not use it if it suits
what you're doing?  When I'm walking around with my CL, I have my aperture
set to f16, set the shutter speed appropriately, and zone focus from about
3.5 feet to 25 feet.  If a shot comes up that doesn't give me time to focus
or set the exposure perfectly, I "shoot from the hip", as it were.
Sometimes I'll then have time to focus or set the exposure a bit more
accurately - if so, I'll do so and take a few extra shots.

But, sometimes, the moment will be gone, and I'd have missed it had I taken
the time to focus.

That doesn't make my CL a point and shoot.  No point and shoot with a fixed
focus lens will come close to my Summicron C 40mm.  And, no autofocus p&s
will allow me to shoot that quickly or quietly.  And, a zoom p&s often has
an f6.6 to 10.6 lens.  And, none of the foregoing will be anywhere near as
sharp as mine, even if I'm zone focusing.

Of course, in most situations other than street shooting, I'm focusing.  I
don't mean to say that I zone or hyper focus all the time.

OTOH, maybe you were just being sort of tongue in cheek.

cheers,
frank

bdcolen wrote:

> Five. I didn't buy Leica Ms so that I could have $2000 P&Ss..;-)

- --
"The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist
fears it is true." -J. Robert
Oppenheimer