Subject: [Leica] Re: Lists
From: Martin Howard <mvhoward@mac.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 23:08:18 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I would hate to see the list split into sublists corresponding to the
> different Leica flavours.

Same here.  I don't have time, nor interest, to read four different
lists to keep track of Leica LTM, Leica M, Leica R, and Leica Digital.
This list is called the Leica Users Group.  As such, one would think
that it would be appropriate to discuss anything and everything that is
relevant and of interest to Leica users.  Perhaps the greatest benefit
of the LUG is that I continually learn things about Leica and
photography that I didn't know before and didn't know to ask about.  If
I subscribed to a narrow list that only dealt with B&W Leica M
photography, I wouldn't.  The signal to noise ratio on this list is low
- -- as it is on most popular, unmoderated lists -- but within that
signal are many high quality, interesting messages from people whose
experience and knowledge I've come to value.

I think the path of improvement lies not in splitting the LUG, or
creating sub-lists, but in us all exercising a trifle more restraint
and thinking twice before hitting the "send" key.

M.