Subject: Re: RE: RE: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film.
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 17:20:05 -0700

On 2003-08-05 feli2@earthlink.net thoughtfully wrote:

>Just because I haven't directed a feature doesn't mean I can't comment on his
>statement. I've worked on and supervised digital special effects for many
>feature films, so it's not like I'm a complete technical novice on the subject.
>HD is very good for what it is, but it runs into problems, when people try to
>make it something other than what it really is...look at Star Wars - Episode
>One.
>;-)

But now you're talking about working entirely in the digital domain for
everything you do!

I'm not sure what your point is about Star Wars - Episode One, though. I mean it
was a bad film, for sure and it's look has that "fx blur" that fudge all the
blending etc that has to be going on. I hope we are past that one although, I'm
afraid, it'll become a "look" that people will want to achieve rather than
avoid. Like being deluged with lens flare.

Of course when we see a film shot in HD we aren't seeing it in its element -
we're seeing it in a transfer to film. I would like to see a fully digital
projection - but there isn't a house with one anywhere near me here in northern
California (that I know of.)

When I talk to people who are working in HD they all say they have to learn the
nature of the medium because it's different from film, just as you say. It has
to be lighted differently, etc etc.

But well shot, and people ARE shooting it very professionally, the results are
very very good. Not bad at all for a first-generation technology.

I just hope, in the future, we break the evil tyranny of 24fps and push up past
30 to 60fps where realism is substantially impacted by the high frame rate. But
even 30 is better than 24.

Adam

Replies: Reply from "Jack Herron" <jherron@theriver.com> (Re: RE: RE: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film.)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com> (Re: [Leica] squabbling over digitial vs. film.)