Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: arggghhh... rant at Keeble & Shucat...
From: David Prakel <david@photopartners.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 09:09:17 +0100

On 30/7/03 10:09 pm, "Ernest Nitka "
<owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> wrote:

> My horror story and OnT Leica is that years ago I had given my lab a
> roll of slides from my Leica RE - the camera worked flawlessly but the
> last slide was cut in half.  When I complained they said it was
> sprocket slippage from my camera!  What BS.  Basically they had used an
> automatic cutting machine and the machine got flaky.  I sent the two
> halves of the slide to the owner personally - he never responded but
> had one his lackeys in the lab come up with that excuse.  Not even an
> offer of a free roll of film.  I then switched to a "pro Lab" where
> they did most things by hand.  There has never been a problem since.

Ernie

Had a similar experience with Kodak in the UK two years ago. The back half
of an Ektachrome 200 was returned with the images sliced neatly one third
one image/two thirds the next.

I worked for the company at the time and returned the film to customer
services. I got a very snippy note back telling me to look at an image half
way through the film where I'd take a view down an old street from an
upstairs window including a black painted gutter down pipe - I was at fault
for including this in shot carefully vertical as this has been seen as the
frame edge by the automatic mounter and the new 'frames' cut right through
it. I did at least get a free film along with the advice not to photograph
vertical black drainpipes again.

A friend who shot a whole series of stained glass windows and had them
returned with the top of one and the bottom of the next image neatly mounted
in slide mounts ended up having Kodak scan and digitally restore the lot!

Go for unmounted anytime!
- --
Regards
David