Subject: Re: [Leica] Heiland Split Grade for V35?!?!
From: Alastair Firkin <firkin@ncable.net.au>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2003 09:59:15 +1100

On Sunday, March 9, 2003, at 09:19 AM, Christer Almqvist wrote:

> I have the Analyser Pro from RH Designs and I have used the Heiland
> Splitgrade. The advantages for me of the Splitgrade (which I do not
> have) is
>
> a) there is no need to look for a suitable thin and dense point of the
> negative when you make measurements with the Splitgrade, you just scan
> the whole negative. Timewise there is not much difference.
>
> b) there is neither a need to remove the filters when you make
> measurements with the Splitgrade, nor to replace them (correctly!)
> when printing as this is done automatically
>
> The disadvantage is the higher price. BTW I like the Analyser.

This is what I would have guessed: higher price, greater convenience.
The SG lets you analyse the negative without thinking: but as always,
some thought does help. You do not have the "grey-scale" read out they
talk about with the RH, and I presume this allows you to adjust for one
tone images such as close portraits.

For speed, the SG is great esp combined with the v35

Cheers