Subject: Re: [Leica] Cooper S, Beetle, and films
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 19:09:14 -0800

On 2/23/03 Martin Howard  wrote:

>Note that the above is a value-free statement: I'm not saying that this
>is bad, nor am I saying that this is good.  I'm saying that comparing
>the new Mini Cooper and VW Beetle to their old European counterparts is
>an exercise in futility.  You might as well be trying to convince
>someone who owned and loved the M3 when it first came out that the
>Nikon D-100 is a great camera.  It may be, but whether it is or not has
>little to do with the M3.

This is, of course, a major "Well, DUH" because there is no market in the US, or
maybe anywhere else outside the third world, for either the old Mini Cooper or
the VW Beetle. They meet neither smog nor safety standards and couldn't be
converted and keep their form-factor.

Not that there ISN'T a market for the VW Beetle. Until recently it was still
being built in Mexico and there was a major market in buying up old Beetles,
pulling out the name plates, carting those down to Mexico and affixing them to
NEW Beetles and selling them as revamped/reconditioned used cars. "We just built
it around the name-plate".

There are, of course, many cars in both Europe and Japan that are designed for
their markets and never see the light of day in the US, possibly become some of
us don't like to put on our cars. :)

If a Leica were as much a pain in the butt to own/operate as a 1966 Mini-Cooper
then trust me, the D-100 would look darn good. In a sense, of course, it IS
which is why digital is making so many inroads.

Adam