Subject: Re: [Leica] HYPOfocal distance
From: brad daly <bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2002 18:31:51 -0500

right, but if you'll read carefully (notice the uppercase letters in the
subject line), you'll see that i was claiming to have made up the term
"HYPOfocal," not "HYPERfocal."  and i was joking.

my question was based upon the fact that we generally think of and
discuss hyperfocal distance with regard to infinity.  i was wondering
how to calculate depth of field SHORTER than the shortest focusing
distance on my lens.

best,
brad

On Wednesday, November 27, 2002, at 06:02  PM, Dave Richards wrote:

> Sorry to burst your bubble, Brad, but hyperfocal focusing has been
> around as long
> as there have been focusable lenses and depth of field scales.
>
> My copy of the Leica Manual, edition 12, 1951, had a handy dandy
> algorithm for
> calculating depth of field.  It uses parameters such as circle of
> confusion, which
> really isn't as confusing as it sounds, and effective diameter of the
> lens.  If you can
> find a copy of this manual, probably any edition, look in the chapter
> on lenses.  You
> will also find an algorithm for calculation hyperfocal distance.  This
> is a handy book
> for anyone interested in the technical aspect of the equipment,
> Leicaphiles or
> otherwise.
>
> Dave Richards
>
>> okay, i understand how hyperfocal distance works--in fact, i used it
>> today while walking around scaring the bezeesus out of people on the
>> streets of chicago by unexpectedly taking their pictures--but what
>> about
>> hypofocal (???)[1] distance?  for instance, say i stop my lens down all
>> the way, then focus it all the way to the *closest* focusing distance.
>> i know i have some depth of field *closer* than the plane of focus, but
>> i don't know how much.
>>
>> is there a formula for calculating this?
>>
>> [1] i'm totally aware that "hypofocal distance" is probably something i
>> just made up.  if so, i get the neologism of the day award.  and for
>> once, a new word and/or phrase i created isn't dirty.  momma's gonna be
>> so proud.
>

> --

brad daly
bwdaly@bigfatpipe.net
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly
http://www.bigfatpipe.net/~bwdaly/paw.html

"There's no way drugs can effect music in a negative way."
	--Brian Wilson

"I pledge allegiance to Queen Frag and her mighty state of hysteria."
	--Calvin and Hobbes

"War, what is it good for?  It's good for business."
	--Billy Bragg

Replies: Reply from alex olstein <alexolstein@comcast.net> (Re: [Leica] HYPOfocal distance)