Subject: Re: [Leica] R9 scoop/ot
From: Adam Bridge <abridge@mac.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Aug 2002 16:42:43 -0700

On 8/23/02 Teresa299@aol.com  wrote:

>Adam, you may want to watch it as the Apple example looks like it may become
>reality one day given the reluctance of Motorola to further significantly
>develop the G4 processor (see discussions on several internet boards over
>the past couple of weeks).
>
>We may see "Star Trek" (the name that was given to an old project to develop
>MacOS on Wintel hardware boxes) after all !

I hear you - actually those of us who used an early version of Rhapsody with
what became Cocoa had the opportunity to use it on Intel. It worked very nicely.

I think the future doesn't lie in Intel for Apple -- too much is wrapped up in
the G4's AltiVec instruction set. Intel has no real equivalent. The rumor mills,
of course, are pushing the new IBM chip which appears to have a vector
instruction set as well.

Jobs learned a great lesson from NeXT -- software is NOT the route to go. No
control over the surrounding hardware, you have to live with the crap that some
other vendor makes. That was a huge lesson, one the NeXT guys won't forget very
soon.

Adam