Subject: RE: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems
From: bennett <3bennett@wanadoo.fr>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:26:18 +0100

I agree that WES was a phenomenal photographer, and his ability to see the
shot, get it, and then produce what for the most part were stunning prints
is incredible. The tragedy, as I see it, was his complete inability to
carry his own projects through to completion, the Pittsburgh project being
the most glaring example of his failure in this area. This kind of thing
happened not only with Life, but with many organizations and publications,
and the Hughes biography is replete with stories of WES breaking promises
to get the job done on time (or at all).

That said, IMO he is one of the most compelling photographers in the
history of the craft. His notion that the photographer/artist/journalist
must strive for truth, his recognition that truth (not to mention
photography) cannot be objective, and his drive to use his subjective
vision and talent to shape the message conveyed by the images he produced
displaces the problematics that underlie his work from the field of
photojournalism strictly speaking into the realm of art and philosophy.

A fascinating photographer, and an equally fascinating body of work.

Guy

Replies: Reply from "Rob Appleby" <rob@robertappleby.com> (Re: [Leica] Eugene Smiths problems)