Subject: Re: [Leica] M7 update 2. and more :-)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@shaw.ca>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 16:21:38 -0700

Bill wrote:
>>> Ted, have you found that the M7 works better with the R8? My M7 isn't
> here yet (waiting for the black .85) but I would think that it be would
> natural to go from the M7 to the R8 since they both have AE.  <<

Hi Bill,
Absolutely, it makes the two cameras KISS simple working together. When I
have the Noctilux on the M7 and the 80-200 f.4 on the R8 all I have to do is
look through viewfinder, focus and shoot.

The M7 flash up the shutter speed and that's all I need to know and away I
go. I thought maybe the 80-200 might be a bit long for the OR and working
available light, maybe too slow at f 4.0. However, it's a piece of cake with
the brilliance of the R8 viewfinder I reach right into the surgeon's eyes
and full frame them.

I'm using Neopan 1600 in the R8, and EXTOL 1:1. The M cameras Tri-X at 800
and EXTOL 1:1. It's a major switch for me from the previous medical book
where I shot all T-max 400 @ 800 and souped in T-max developer. 6 mins @ 75.

So far I like what I'm seeing on 11X14 prints, however, I'm going to try
some t-max 400 @ 800 for a comparison next week under the same conditions.
Then make a final film decision at that time. But once I see something
looking good I hate screwing around trying one thing or another.

Actually I'll on second thought I'll probably look at the film thing on the
basis of  Tri-x looks good why mess around. ;-)

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant