Subject: [Leica] re: shooting in Jerusalem
From: "Emanuel Lowi" <mano@proxyma.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2002 18:47:39 -0500

If you are carrying the exposed film out of Israel in your luggage and you avoid
telling them you are a working photographer and have just come from the West Bank
(which you should avoid mentioning in any case, because it will make the airport
security people VERY interested in you...) you should have no trouble.

But I've even had Fed Ex in Israel refuse to accept my exposed film from Gaza for
transport to Black Star in New York until the images had been inspected by the
military censor. Like most situations in Israel, if you argue long and loud enough,
you may get your way in the end.

Getting YOURSELF in and out of the West Bank is another story. On some days certain
towns and villages are blockaded by Israeli forces and you may not get in or out. The
situation can change several times a day and you are best to seek the latest
information for the specific places you plan to visit. I recommend using ONLY
Palestinian transportation (e.g. an Arab taxi service) in and out of there. Avoid ANY
vehicle with Israeli license plates if you value your life.

It is not a simple place.

Emanuel Lowi
Montreal (thankfully)